To spread awareness of the achievements of the factories in the garment sector the Annual Award Dinner has become MGMA’s yearly tradition. In 2016 MGMA celebrated the 3rd annual award dinner at the Rose Garden Hotel in Yangon and was attended by over 230 participants and 61 factories. Sponsorships are from Korean Garment Association in Myanmar, A&E Ltd, Groz-Beckert, OV Logistics, Luther Law Firm, Ayeyawaddy Development (Pathein Industry), GSCS, Damco Logistics and SMART Myanmar (both technically and financially).
This event also serves as a networking opportunity for hundreds of investors and managers from garment factories, logistics companies, international brands & fashion retailers and other industry service providers.
To honor the achievements from the factories MGMA has categorized the awards with the technical help of SMART Myanmar as follows:
• AWARD for Social Compliance Excellence: two awards given to a foreign invested factory and a local invested factory
• Runner-up for the Social Compliance AWARD
• Most improved factory award: given to the most improved factory within the SMART Social Compliance Academy TM program in 2016 (two awards given to a foreign invested factory and a locally invested factory)
KTK Garments won both awards for Social Compliance Excellence and most improved factory award as part of SMART’s Social Compliance Academy TM program as a 100% local factory. KTK Garments has invested much effort in improving health & safety and human resources issues with the guidance of SMART Myanmar’s social compliance experts to achieve these awards.
Tah Hsin is a 100% Taiwanese-owned factory and won the award for Social Compliance Excellence as a foreign invested factory. Tah Hsin is a well-established factory that receives encouraging support from their different European buyers. Not only did they participate in the SMART Social Compliance AcademyTM program but also did a worker training program with SMART and FWF in 2015 to raise awareness on grievance procedures.
The runner-up factory for the social compliance award went to Prosperity Co. Ltd, a sweater factory producing high quality knitware for the European market.
MGMA appreciates the achievements of these factories as part of their activities to advocate their Code of Conduct. MGMA also looks forward to continuing the work on social compliance to raise standards within the industry.
SMART Myanmar has several events in the calendar for March-July, 2017. In particular:
• March 30th – At the Gar-Tex Exhibition in Rose Garden Hotel SMART Myanmar will be presenting at 10am on the results of the SMART Energy Efficiency Pilot Program. 10 factories received energy audits and recommendations for improvements. At 11:15am Sunlabob Renewable Energy will present on solar options for garment factories and at 1:30pm Systain Consulting and Otto Group will present on their ‘Chemicals Academy’ program with garment factories in China.
• May 24th, 25th & 26th – SMART Myanmar will host our 6th HR Management Lab, an intensive overview course focused on best practices in garment factory HR management. This course is free-of-charge and open to all factories in the garment, footwear and accessories industries.
• July 13th & 14th – The start of the 6th SMART Social Compliance Academy™ – This is SMART’s most intensive factory program and involves workshop training, on-site assessments and a comprehensive corrective action plan. Over 30 factories have benefited from this program and in July SMART is pleased to offer this program to factories in Yangon, Bago and Pathein. Registration is currently on-going until all spots are filled.
• April, May, June – SMART is accepting on-going enrollment in our SMART Energy Efficiency Program. Email or call project staff to schedule an energy assessment based on the AS/NZ 3598.2 method and receive an “Energy Reduction Plan”.
In order to recognize improvements in social compliance and excellence in implementing responsible business practices, SMART Myanmar’s local partner – The Myanmar Garment Manufacturers Association – organizes an annual awards dinner. SMART provides technical support to evaluate those factories who apply for recognition.
Comprehensive on-site consultancies for garment factories on all issues related to social compliance. (Provided in both English and Myanmar). This program starts with a 2-day induction training followed by a series of on-site factory consultancies. A maximum of 10 factories are allowed in each course. Register today by contacting May Mi Kyaw.
After a tremendous turn-out and participation by factories in February, SMART Myanmar is pleased to host another “HR Management Training, Level 1”. This course is 3 days, free-of-charge for all factories, and is an intensive overview of factory HR management systems and best practices. The primary trainer is SMART Myanmar’s senior technical expert, Ms. Nancy Feng. Nancy has a decade of experience as an auditor and trainer for the garment industries in China, Myanmar and several other countries.
This course is taught in English language with simultaneous interpretation to Burmese. Questions may also be asked in Chinese Mandarin during training (our expert instructors speak English, Chinese and Myanmar).
Dates for the training are: May 23rd, 24th and 25th. Download the form below for full details on registration:
To honor the achievements of MGMA’s member factories in manufacturing excellence we are pleased to organize the 2nd Annual MGMA Factory Awards Dinner. Last year’s 2014 Factor y Awards Dinner brought together dozens of manufacturers with industr y ser vice provides, brand representatives and related companies & organizations to gather for an evening of business networking and celebration.
This year, the MGMA is pleased to be working with SMART Myanmar who has been invited to sponsor and coordinate the “SMART Award” – a trophy and recognition to be given out to the applying factory with the most noteworthy progress in social compliance improvement. As well, several certificates will be given out to member companies for accomplishments such as “excellence in factory set-up” and “recognition of best workplace facilities” as well as several other mentions.
Purchased or reserved before September 25th: $25/ticket for MGMA members Now only 15,000 kyats!
$28/ticket for non-members
Tickets purchased after September 25th but before October 16th: $28/ticket for MGMA members Now only 15,000 kyats
$30/ticket for non-members
Tickets purchased after October 16th: $30/ticket for MGMA members Now 20,000 kyats
$40/ticket for non-members
Dinner, drinks & business networking Parkview Hotel Ballroom with 250 garment factory owners,investors, logistics companies, inspection companies, brands & retailers and affiliated industries.
26th June 2015 at Padonmar Restaurant
On June 26th, 2015 at 6:00pm, the first evening of the 4th Annual Garment & Textile Machinery Exhibition, MGMA is organizing a networking event for its members to socialize with each other and with visiting overseas buyers and suppliers.
RSVP to email@example.com to reserve your spot. All tickets reserved and paid for before May 15th are just $10. From May 16th until June 19th tickets will cost $16 for non-members and $12 for MGMA members. Tickets purchased after June 19th will be $20 for non-members and $15 for MGMA members.